Monday 4 April 2011

Lecture 6 How do we absorb Information?

Everybody takes in information in different ways and with all the pieces of information that we are exposed to on a daily basis it's shocking how little we actually do take in. We tend to pick and choose the relevant information and push out some of the most interesting things we come across.

Information Overload

Information overload occurs when a individual is bombarded with whey too much information causing disorientation and confusion. As a designer its best to visualise any sort of import information to make sense of it.

The way we absorb information falls down to our 5 senses.



Sight

Sight for me has to be the most important within design as I am able to see things that inspire me see things that get me thinking, I am able to visualise ideas by seeing them and interpreting them in my own way.
We see hundreds of thousands information on a daily basis, for me personally I remember information a lot better if I have seen it and engaged or got involved with whatever it is.


Sound

Sound and hearing are another important thing for me when it comes to design, i do remember things quickly if I say them vocally a few times. When I'm looking for inspiration and am stuck for ideas I often listen to music to help the process along, listening to music for me brings on emotions that help me get in the mode to design something meaningful. On a day to day journey we must hear a lot of different noises too, I find that sometimes my hearing aids me more in cautious situations.



Taste

Taste I would say is probably the least important when it comes to design, but for me I find that the emotional response I get from eating something that I like helps my brain thing of creative ways of solving problems.




Smell

Like taste smell for me is directly related to food and the emotional satisfaction I'm given from eating food. The smells that are floating about on a daily basis can trigger thoughts and does trigger thoughts about certain thing like perfume or petrol.



Touch

Touch for me in design is very important as how something feels and the texture of something can be visualised. When we feel pain that ultimately bring up emotion and this can be then transferred or has an influence on whatever were designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment